Sunday, November 18, 2007

Feetcakes


Ever since I have been back in Seattle I wanted to eat at the PancakeHaus, an Edmonds institution. This morning seemed like the perfect day, a cold rainy Sunday. However in a move to save money and be healthier eaters we decided to eat pancakes at home. "I will make them from scratch" was my next comment and Angie agreed to humor me and kept the Bisquick box in the cupboard. I looked up a recipe, got out the ingredients and decided to try and make 1 1/2 recipes. Mistake #1. Angie looked at the recipe and said "How do you half an egg?" Mistake #2. I proceeded to whip up a batch of these pancakes and marched over to the stove, bowl of batter in hand. Pancake number one went in to the pan and I looked on in dismay as it spread out in to what can best be described as a crepe! The horror!! Here I am trying to convince Angie of the joy of things made from scratch and it can only be described as a complete bust. She waited patiently as I cooked pancake after pancake. At one point I tried to convince her that even though they looked flat they would not "taste like feet". FEET! Who ever heard of a feetcake? This was definite cause for alarm and after trying to tweek the bowl of batter it was declared a baking disaster and the rest was dumped out. No pancakes, no PancakeHaus and yet another adventure in baking for me!

No comments: